There are various guidelines that all submissions must follow. It’s not nearly as complex as it sounds, and it makes us wonder why the government spends money on this rather than schools. Check out this week’s wine contest (look at the bottom-right of this page for a link!) for the specifics relating to this week’s contest. All of these rules are government requirements that we’ve simplified, except for putting on the Pretense name and the Artist’s name and signature. Design only the front label—only the winning labels will design the corresponding back, too!
Front Label Must Contain:
- Brand Name — Must include the name of the wine. See this week’s theme (on the bottom right of this page) for the name to use
- Malbec — our wine varietal. Our wines are high-quality Malbecs from Argentina
- 2008 — the year our wine was harvested
- Mendoza, Argentina — the place our wine comes from
- Malbec, 2008, Mendoza must be 2mm — the “Malbec”, “2008”, and “Mendoza, Argentina” need to be at least this size, and all the same size.
- Use the Pretense Canvas - this includes our small logo in the bottom-left, and the right canvas size (4x5 inches @ 300 dpi). The template can be found here in these formats: PSD, AI, or PNG
- Optionally, sign the bottom-right of the front label! We want all designers to feature their signature on the front label. You signature or name must be smaller than the other writing on the front page.
- There can be no other writing on the front label, for legal reasons.
WINNING LABELS ONLY REQUIRE BACK LABELS: Labels That Win Will Also Need The Corresponding Back Label, which must contain:
- Paragraph about Wine — Must include a paragraph of text about the wine. See this week’s theme for the paragraph to use this week.
- Imported by Anuva Imports, LLC, Lake Oswego, Oregon — must say who imported it, and Anuva is our importation company (they’re wonderful). Yes, the government mandates we say this.
- Bottled by Chateau Las Cañitas — must say the name of our winery. Yes, government requires it, again.
- GOVERNMENT WARNING: ACCORDING TO THE SURGEON GENERAL, WOMEN SHOULD NOT DRINK ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES DURING PREGNANCY BECAUSE OF THE RISK OF BIRTH DEFECTS. (2) CONSUMPTION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES IMPAIRS YOUR ABILITY TO DRIVE A CAR OR OPERATE MACHINERY, AND MAY CAUSE HEALTH PROBLEMS — that warning must appear on the back label and the first two words, “Government Warning:” should be bolded. Must be said legally.
- Contains Sulfites — Should declare that it has sulfites, and shouldn’t be too close to the Government Warning. Government forces us to do this again.
- Bar Code — must include a box that is 1.5 x 1.1 inches (450 x 300 pixels @ 300 DPI) If you want, you can put a big “X” through it and labeled “Bar Code”, optionally. The final bar code will be placed here, since that wasn’t obvious.
- Pretense Wines, www.pretensewines.com — Must mention Pretense Wines and our URL
- (Optional) Your Name, URL, Signature! — Must include your name, and/or URL, and/or your signature. We want you to promote yourself but you don’t need to if you don’t want to!
- Warning & Sulfites: Biggest Font Size On Back Other Than Brand Name — the Government Warning and Contains Sulfites must be in the same font size as any other text on the back label excluding the brand name.
- Alc. 13.5% Vol. — Must include the alcohol content, in this format
- 750 ML — must include the quantity, in this format.
Details & Legalese:
- 4 x 5 inches — Each label must be 4 x 5 inches, or 1200 x 1500 pixels @ 300 DPI. The canvas you must use is already in this size & DPI.
- Front & Back JPGs & PSD/AI — We must receive three or four files: JPGs, GIFs, or PNGs of each the front and the back as separate files; and the original PSD or AI file, so we can make tweaks if the government asks us to.
- Submit all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org — Submit your labels by emailing us here
- Terms & Conditions — Make sure you read our terms, they are generous and great: we legally pledge to give you the first $10k we get from the sales of the wine!